Monday 26 January 2015

Josef Albers

Josef Albers was an American that was originally born in Germany. He was born on March 19, 1888 and died on March 25, 1976. His work is said to have formed the basis of some of the most influential art education programs within the twentieth century. 

Albers during his early life worked as a school teacher in his home town but later on decided to work as a printmaker from 1916-1919. 


Albers married a woman called Anni Albersa in 1925.

Albers was an accomplished designer, typographer, photographer, print maker, and poet. Albers was also known for his outstanding work as a theorist and an abstract painter.

Albers created many paintings that consisted of squares within squares which  were painted in different colours.

Examples of Josef Albers' paintings:

ja24 good

Josef Albers influenced artists such as Robert Rauschenberg, Cy Twombly, Eva Hesse, and John Chamberlain.

He also influenced art movements such as Pop Art, Colour field painting, and Geometric Abstraction.

My Albers influenced pieces:


Here are some examples of my Albers style square on squares (on the left).I was not particularly going with a particular theme with the bottom 2 images but as for the first image I chose to start off with a bright version of the colour then I chose to make the squares that were getting smaller a darker shade of the colour. For example I with the first square in the first image, I started off with a light red then I made the smaller squares a darker shade of red. I did this 7 more times with different colours in order to make the image more interesting. I got this idea from the image above which shows 4 squares on squares that start off with a big yellow square then leads to a smaller square which is a darker shade of yellow then the smallest square ends up being the darkest shade of the colour that was initially used on the biggest square.


No comments:

Post a Comment