Monday 9 May 2016

Antoni Gaudi

Antoni Gaudi was born 25th June 1852 and died 10th June 1926. He was a Spanish Catalan architect from Reus and the best known practitioner of Catalan Modernism. Gaudi was most influenced by the passions he held including architecture, nature, and religion. He integrated crafts such as ceramics, stained glass, wrought ironwork forging and carpentry. He also found new techniques such as trencadis which used waste ceramic pieces. Gaudi's work transcended mainstream Modernisme, using and organic style, inspired by nature. He preferred to create three dimensional scale models of his works, continuously molding details into them.



I really like Gaudi's style of architecture and sculpture because of the imperfect organic feel it has. Instead of creating perfect forms of symmetry, he looked at nature to create unique, pieces of art and architecture. I have noticed that Gaudi's creations often incorporate a flowing aspect to them, giving the effect of moving fluidity to each of his works. I really like this changeability because it makes his architecture blend in well with the natural landscape, instead of generic rectangular buildings which stand out. This makes his work seem more organic and integrates it into the period he lived in.
I would really like to incorporate these aspects into my own work to make it appear to have its own movement. I can do this in my final piece by using flowing lines in the handrails of the building. I believe this will aid my work in making it one of a kind by using the surreal element of fluidity.



No comments:

Post a Comment