Tuesday 3 February 2015

Kazimir Malevich 

Kazimir Malevich was a Russian art theoretician but was famously known for being a painter. He was born on February, 23, 1879 but died on May, 15, 1935. He is said to be a pioneer of the geometric abstract art and the originator of the avant-garde and suprematist movements.

During 1912, Malevich's works were influenced by Natalia Goncharova and Mikhail Larionov. At that time, Malevich described himself as painting in a "Cubo-Futuristic" style.

Famous examples of Malevich's Suprematist works include: 

Black square
White on White
Malevich's composition, White on White, was painted in 1918 using oil on canvas. This piece needs to be viewed long enough to notice the contrast between the white hues. There isn't really much to say about  the piece in my opinion.

Sadly Malevich died on 15 May 1935 because he had cancer. On his deathbed Malevich is said to have been exhibited with the black square above him. A white cube with a black square was made to mark the burial site but it was destroyed during World War II.

My Malevich inspired pieces:

Here are 2 images (image above and below) that I created using Photoshop that were inspired by Malevich. I have done more pieces but these two are just examples of what I've done. with the first piece (image above) I chose to put 3 black squares on a white background and then I put a smaller white square on top of the smallest black square to make the small black square look bigger than in actually was, like an illusion. With the second piece (image below) I wasn't necessarily trying to achieve anything, I was merely just experimenting with the black squares, as I was with all my other pieces but this was an initial piece that I started with.





No comments:

Post a Comment